I love making yams but hated the 45 minutes to bake in the oven or the tall task of boiling them. A friend showed me a shortcut and I have used this method ever since. I also use this method with russet potatoes too!
You just need some saran wrap and whole yams. I do wash the yams even though we don’t eat the skins. After washing, you can dry slightly and cut the ends off.
Here is how easy it is:
- Just wrap the yams in saran wrap, making sure it is completely covered.
- Poke the yams with a sharp knife (be careful) or a fork to give it some breathing room.
- Place yams in the microwave.
- Cook yams on high power for 8 minutes – this is for an average size yam.
- After 8 minutes, poke a fork in the yam to see if it completely cooked through. If not, microwave at 2 minute intervals till done.
- Let yams sit for a few minutes to settle the heat throughout the yams.
Be CAREFUL taking off the saran wrap. The yams can be very hot!!
Free Cake Mix Magic Recipe Book
Includes simple to make cakes and BONUS decorating ideas