I am learning the blogging world as I go. Each step takes you a little closer to knowing a little more which then reminds you that you know very little. And of course, technology and how you do things change every time you blink.
BUT, today I figured out how to become an Amazon Affiliate for my blog and YouTube channel. It’s a great way to point your readers and viewers to the products that you use and love. AND, if they purchase any of the products via your link, you get a small percentage of the sale. It’s a win – win!
So, here is what it took six hours for me to figure out. Hope this will alleviate the time it will take you.
- Know the rules. Once you log-in to Amazon, make sure to read the fine print because you want to provide links honestly and following their guidelines. Here is some things I found out. YOU MUST acknowledge to your readers and viewers that you are providing them an affiliate link before or at the link. (ex: Affliliate link here www.Amazon.com…..)
- When you create an affiliate link you can do this on the photo of the product or add wording that they link too. For example: “Click Here for this product” and have a hyperlink they will click on.
- To start, you have to have a website or blog that Amazon will approve. This website or blog has to be in line with products you will be promoting or they will discontinue you.
So here it goes:
Go to https://affiliate-program.amazon.com
- Click on JOIN NOW for FREE
- You must have an Amazon account to sign in. If you do not have one, it takes a minute to create one. Make sure to write down your password.
- Once you have entered the site, it will confirm the address where payments will be sent.
- Enter the website or blog URL address or you Mobile App URL. You can add up to 50 sites. I only had two – my blog and facebook page.
- Confirm that you are not a site that features articles etc. for children under 13 years of age. This is to protect children.
- Next page is all the details of your website information and the types of topics your site offers. For me its recipes, decorating, crafts, preschool and inspiration. You also need to create a Preferred Associates Store ID – Just make a name that resembles your site. You will receive the official ID in the upcoming screens. Also, fill out to the best of your ability the Traffic and Monetization sources. This helps Amazon know your interests and how they will help promote your site with their products and services.
- You will now be asked to fill out tax information. You will need a way for payment to you via mail or direct deposit. They will also ask for your social security or tax id number for tax purposes. You will receive a 1099 at the end of each year reporting your income. You will be required to add these profits to your tax filing if it is over a certain amount. It changes every year, so make sure you find out.
- Amazon will ask for your phone number to send you a phone call to verify a 4 digit number to validate your affiliation confirmation.
- Make sure to write down the Preferred ID they give you as you may need this in the future.
- Once you are confirmed, you can start adding links to your website or blog.
How to add links to your site:
- Go to https://affiliate-program.amazon.com
- Cick Login
- Go to Quick Links: Search for a Product
- Type in the name of the product – be as specific as you can.
- Press GO
- You will see a variety of products sold by Amazon. Choose the one you want to promote in your link.
- Go to right of the product to where it says “Get link” but DON”T press it yet. Go to the arrow to the right and click that.
- You will see a very long HTML code which you won’t use, unless you want to.
- You need to click “Shorten URL with amzn.to? You will now see a very shortened url http://amzn.to/….. This is the url to link to your blog post or page of the product you want to promote.
- Now you can go to your website or blog and add this link to a photo or in the wording of the blog post. Here is an example from my published book. I put the link to get the Kindle version of the book in the CLICK HERE along with the photo.
What the book contains:
- How-to decorate the Write Way
- 70 cakes with step-by-step photos (birthday, celebration, holiday and wedding cakes)
CLICK HERE and download today – Just $8.99 (affiliate link to Amazon Kindle Books)
I hope this helps. I am learning as I go but hope it will make it easier.
Free Cake Mix Magic Recipe Book
Includes simple to make cakes and BONUS decorating ideas