Classic Easy Thanksgiving Stuffing
My boys favorite part of Thanksgiving is the stuffing. It might be that I only make it once a year. I always make double batch because I know it will not go to waste. Using boxed or homemade bread cubes and chicken broth, you can just use this recipe or add more veggies or other items like dried cranberries, raisins, chopped nuts, etc.
Creator/Designer: Jill Lodato
Cuisine: Thanksgiving Stuffing
Recipe type: side dish
Will Serve: 10
- 12 cups bread, cubes (Mom makes her own sometimes)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery, stalks and leaves
- 1 cup chopped mushroom (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground sage
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Cooked italian sausage (optional)
How to Make
- In a large, heavy skillet over medium heat melt the butter, then sauté the onion and celery (and mushroom, if using) until the onion is soft, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, and sage and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Place the bread cubes into a large, deep bowl.
- Pour ¼ cup of the butter/celery mixture over the cubes and toss well, then repeat steps until all of the butter mixture is used.
- Toss the cubes thoroughly to coat.
- Add chicken broth to moisten the bread. Add a little at a time to get the desired texture.
- Cover until ready to serve.
Free Cake Mix Magic Recipe Book
Includes simple to make cakes and BONUS decorating ideas