This is a fun and easy cake to make for Valentine’s Day! Using colorful candy you buy at your local grocery store, you can create these cute bugs, caterpillars, butterflies, and dragonflies.
I cut out hearts using colorful paper and wrote “Love Bugs”.
Baked and frosted cake
Buttercream Frosting (recipe below)
Mint Green food color gel (I used Americolor brand)
Colorful candy (I used Spree, candy hearts, cherry sour balls, starburst candy, Skittles)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (salted, or unsalted)
1 cup Crisco shortening or lard
1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
4 – 6 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure almond extract (best quality available)
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, half and half or milk.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix softened butter and shortening together.
* Add salt (if needed).
* One cup at time, add 2-3 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition.
* Add vanilla, or other flavorings and beat to combine.
* Add about 1 tablespoon of cream, and continue beating.
* Add the remaining 2-3 cups powdered sugar, one at a time.
* Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons cream until desired consistency is reached. If you want to pipe the frosting on cupcakes, the frosting should be nice and thick. Continue to beat another minute or so. The frosting should now be smooth and fluffy.
Free Cake Mix Magic Recipe Book
Includes simple to make cakes and BONUS decorating ideas