With a rose tip and chocolate truffles or chocolate candy, you can create a pretty party cake for your special Valentines, birthday, or special occasion.
Watch Jill Make this Simple to Make Ruffle and Truffle Heart Cake
Baked and frosted cake
Buttercream Frosting (recipe below)
Food color gel (I used deep pink)
Heart cookie cutter or template
Chocolate truffles or candy
#104 decorating tip
Disposable decorating bag or pastry bag
Chopstick or rose nail
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (salted, or unsalted)
1 cup Crisco shortening or lard
1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
4 – 6 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure almond extract (best quality available)
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, half and half or milk.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix softened butter and shortening together.
* Add salt (if needed).
* One cup at time, add 2-3 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition.
* Add vanilla, or other flavorings and beat to combine.
* Add about 1 tablespoon of cream, and continue beating.
* Add the remaining 2-3 cups powdered sugar, one at a time.
* Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons cream until desired consistency is reached. If you want to pipe the frosting on cupcakes, the frosting should be nice and thick. Continue to beat another minute or so. The frosting should now be smooth and fluffy.
Free Cake Mix Magic Recipe Book
Includes simple to make cakes and BONUS decorating ideas