I LOVE butterflies and dragonflies. Every year I order caterpillars to watch them turn into butterflies in my classroom.
I loved creating these simple and fun cupcakes for this spring. But, you can actually make butterflies and dragonflies anytime of the year.
Using candy melts (or chocolate), you simply pipe the outline of the shapes – let dry and just place on your cupcake.
AND, I will show you something amazing!
Make your own star tip with a bag and tape. YES, with a freezer bag, tape and some scissors you can make star tip decorating with your frosting.
See the HOW-TO below!
You Will Need:
- Candy Melts – I used pink. You can also use chocolate too.
- Edible sprinkles – optional
- Parchment paper or wax paper – to create template
- Pencil or pen to draw on opposite side of template.
- Freezer bag
- Scotch tape
- Buttercream frosting (see below)
Microwave candy melts at 30 second intervals and stir until melted. Put in ziploc bag and make a small snip to create a writing tip.
Buttercream BASIC Frosting:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (salted, or unsalted)
1 cup Crisco shortening or 1 tub of store-bought vanilla frosting
1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
4 – 6 cups powdered sugar (depending on stiffness)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (best quality available)
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, half and half or milk.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix softened butter and crisco together.
* Add salt (if needed).
* One cup at time, add 2-3 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition.
* Add vanilla, or other flavorings and beat to combine.
* Add about 1 tablespoon of cream, and continue beating.
* Add the remaining 2-3 cups powdered sugar, one at a time.
* Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons cream until desired consistency is reached. If you want to pipe the frosting on cupcakes, the frosting should be nice and thick. Continue to beat another minute or so. The frosting should now be smooth and fluffy.
Free Cake Mix Magic Recipe Book
Jill's 20 BEST Cake Mix Magic Recipes & Decorating Ideas