I can teach anyone how to make a frosting rose. When I tell people this they don’t believe me. Yet, with just one lesson they are making roses. The trick is using a chopstick. I know it’s crazy but a chopstick is the best way to not only make roses but to make them fast.
When I teach cake decorating classes, making a rose it the #1 requested thing to learn. It always surprises them how quick and simple it was to learn. Some take to it quickly and others need to keep practicing. Practice does make perfect when it comes to making roses.
If you need to make 30 rose cupcakes, then you want to be able to make them beautiful and quick.
In my video, I show you how to make a smaller rose using a #104 tip and a larger rose using a #124 tip. Both of these tips can be found in your craft store or online.
Using my sturdy buttercream recipe below you will have a great frosting to work with.
Watch the video and then get started making your own roses. If you have any questions, just ask here or on the YouTube video.
104 decorating tip for smaller roses
124 decorating tip for larger roses
Decorating bag (disposable, parchment or pastry bag)
Frosting (see recipe below)
Stick (chopstick, wooden stick, or dowel)
Buttercream Frosting for Making Roses
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (salted, or unsalted)
3/4 cup Crisco shortening
5 – 6 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure almond extract (best quality available)
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, half and half or milk.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix softened butter and crisco together.
* One cup at time, add 2-3 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition.
* Add vanilla, or other flavorings and beat to combine.
* Add about 1 tablespoon of cream, and continue beating.
* Add the remaining 2-3 cups powdered sugar, one at a time.
* Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons cream until desired consistency is reached. If you want to make roses or pipe the frosting on cupcakes, the frosting should be nice and thick. Continue to beat another minute or so. The frosting should now be smooth and fluffy.
Free Cake Mix Magic Recipe Book
Jill's 20 BEST Cake Mix Magic Recipes & Decorating Ideas